Official Website – https://www.ets.org/gre/ Any student who wants to pursue Master’s/MBA/JD or a doctoral degree in the prestigious universities of USA enters this exam to brighten up the chances of selection. A student can opt for a GRE General Test or a subjective test if the chosen university demands so. Candidates with various scholastic and ethnic backgrounds appear for GRE which offers a ubiquitous extent for evaluating applicants’ credentials.
The test duration is 3 hours and 45 minutes and it’s a one-day test. There are six sections with a 10-minute break following the third section.
|Measure||Number of Questions||Allotted Time|
(One section with two separately timed tasks)
|One “Analyze an Issue” task and one “Analyze an Argument” task||30 minutes per task|
|20 questions per section||30 minutes per section|
|20 questions per section||35 minutes per section|
- ¹An anonymous unscored section that does not count-up for your score may be incorporated and may be seen in any sort after the Analytical Writing
section. Questions in the unscored section are being tried out either for possible use in future tests or to ensure that scores on new editions of the test are comparable to scores from earlier editions.
- ²A well-known research section that does not count towards scoring may be included in place of the unscored section just like in TOEFL. Questions in this section are included for ETS research purposes and they are usually the last ones in the section .
- The sequence of the sections is – The Analytical Writing, The Verbal Reasoning & Quantitative Reasoning.
Scores Reported on the GRE® General Test
|Verbal Reasoning||130 – 170|
|Quantitative Reasoning||130 – 170|
|Analytical Writing||0 – 6|
Test Registration Process, Test Fees
Before registering yourself assess the checklist below to acquaint yourself with the various procedures, available services and registration options.
- You are responsible for bringing valid and acceptable ID when you report to a test center, and it must match the first and last name you used when creating your account and registering for your test.
- The test is offered year round on a first-come, first-served basis. View seat availability for your preferred date and location.
- Be sure to allow sufficient time for score reporting when scheduling your test so you can meet the admissions deadlines for the schools to which you are applying.
- Create an ETS account to get the most up-to-date test center information. Not all test centers are open on all dates.
- Determine which graduate institutions or fellowship sponsors you want to receive your scores. As part of your test fee, you can designate up to four score recipients.
- If you prefer to send score reports later or want to send score reports to more than four recipients, you can send additional score reports for a fee.
- Fees are stated in U.S. dollars. Fees effective July 1, 2020. Fees are subject to change without notice. At present the fee charges for Indian Students is $213.
Upcoming test dates (if any)::
GRE dates can be seen after the candidate registers through there website. The link is given below.
Test date checklist:
- Confirm your appointment date, time, and location on your mba.com Account page.
- Bring a valid photo ID (Original & Valid Passport).
- Appointment confirmation letter or email you received from ETS.
ID verification at the test center may involve:
- Biometric voice and photo identification
- Video recording
- Signature comparison
This is in addition to the requirement that you must present acceptable and valid identification such as Passport.